5 Tips to Help Choose the Right Fly Rod
Choosing the right fly rod is no easy task, length, power, species, fishing conditions and the type of flies you will be throwing all need to be carefully considered.
Of course for many, choosing a new fly rod may be a pretty straightforward operation based on experience and what has historically proven to be the best fly rod for a given application.
We believe there are 5 main factors that influence the type of fly rod best suited to any given task. These are broadly listed below but have been incorporated into our fly rod selection quiz. If you're interested in what Epic fly rod might be best for you take the quiz and we'll point you in the right direction. And as always, if you have any questions - just drop us a note, we're here to help.
Choose the Right Fly Rod
- Are you looking for a specialty rod? eg, a multi-piece Backpacking rod, Euro nymphing or two handed Spey Rod?
- What size and species of fish will you be primarily targeting?
- Flies. What size flies will you mostly be casting with this fly rod?
- Action / Power. Are you best suited suited to a fast, medium or full flexing fly rod?
- Material, do you have a preference for the material a fly rod blank is made from? Cane, Glass Fiber or Carbon Fiber
Based on yoru answers to these 5 question we can do a pretty good job of recommending the best fly rod for your needs.